Thursday, August 28, 2008

Shark Boy

He casually mentioned last night that he had something stuck behind his tooth. He had eaten a ton of strawberries at Grandma's that day, so I wondered aloud if it might be a wayward seed. When he brought it up again this morning I thought I ought to take a look. Was it a seed? Nope, its two permanent teeth coming up right behind his bottom two front teeth! We had no idea. He is nearly six, but we certainly didn't expect permanent teeth before kindergarten. I'm keeping an eye on the baby teeth, which I discovered -- after much pleading -- to be slightly loose, to make sure we aren't really going to end up with a Shark Boy!



Speaking of kindergarten, I finally got in touch with somebody from the elementary school. I was told that we were on the list to be contacted. Essentially, we are going to meet with someone next Wednesday, the 3rd, after kindergarten orientation. (We have an hour orientation on Wednesday, then half the kindergartners attend on Thursday and the other half on Friday. On Monday the 9th all students will attend, as the teachers will have figured out the class lists by then. We already know which teacher he has because the other full-day kindergarten class is team-taught, different teachers on different days. My boy needs consistency! Luckily the school agreed.) Anyway, they want to wait to adjust his IEP until they see how he is going to do in a mainstream class. (Or, as my mom who has been with the Kent District for 17 years said, they just couldn't find anyone who wanted to come in to work early to do it!) Either way, I'm going to keep on top of it!

I am completely ambivalent about the start of kindergarten. I know I am more than ready to have some peace restored to our home, as respite of sorts for our littlest guy and I. I know that sounds terrible, but it really is better for all involved at this stage if the load is shared, so to speak. As far as motherly anxiety goes, when I take the time to think about it, I am vaguely concerned about what is going to transpire when he walks through those doors. But mostly I am either in denial or very much at peace about it. Its also sort of surreal to be reaching this milestone -- I think a lot of this has to do with his complete indifference to the idea. I don't know how he's going to respond when the day finally comes. He's totally unpredictable in that regard. I alternately feel strange to be having a child starting kindergarten and proud that my child with a special needs diagnosis is doing something so normal.

New teeth, school supplies -- and let's not forget, riding a school bus! This is going to be one crazy week! I'll try to keep things here up to date.




1 comment:

Amanda Hug'n Kiss said...

I can relate so closely to what you are saying. I too have been either at peace or maybe just ambivilant about next week. Although I have still had NO answer as to where Aiden is supposed to go. They haven't even told me which day or school. But I just plan on showing up on Tuesday. Maybe the stress will hit them. I think this is going to be so good for him. I can't wait to see some actual progress instead of just "surviving" each day. Maybe that's why I'm not nervous.