Friday, December 28, 2007

The Gift of Sleep

If there is one thing I can be grateful for as a parent, it is that I am blessed with two boys who are both good sleepers. The eldest would have gladly slept through the night from the moment he was born, but I was forced to wake him to make him eat. It was a horrible endeavor that usually left me in tears and him...sound asleep. Our second dutifully woke up for his feedings, but transitioned nicely to sleeping through the night right on schedule. Trust me, I don't take this blessing for granted. I do, however, sometimes take advantage of it.

For Christmas this year, my husband and I were able to acquire some used bunkbeds -- Thanks, Jani! -- with which we planned to surprise the boys. After hiding them for a time at my parents' home, we locked the beds in the office/storage/oversized junk drawer/extra bedroom upstairs to await Christmas Eve.

Driving home Christmas Eve, the youngest fell asleep in the car. Not a problem, we transferred him to his crib upon arrival. The eldest, worn out from too much sugar and spoiling by grandparents, fell asleep moments after being put to bed.

After cleaning the living room for the eighth time that day, it was time to get to work. The playpen had been set up in our bedroom and we easily transferred the youngest there. Now that his crib mattress was available, we put it in our bedroom as well. Our other son, who could sleep through a jackhammer, was to be put on there. Halfway to the room, my husband lost his grip and our son hovered just above the ground, looking much like a bag of cement being heaved from one place to another. Moments later, however, he was plopped down on the mattress without a twitch of the eye.

Hubby and I returned to their bedroom, moved out the old furniture and moved in the metal bunkbed pieces and mattresses. We banged and clanged that hollow-metal bunkbed together, sounding like a number out of Stomp. 45 minutes later, we climbed over the boys and into bed.

The following morning, not as early as one might expect on Christmas, our eldest son sat up and declared, "Hey, these aren't my sheets!" then announced he was ready to go downstairs.

It was only after stockings and all presents were opened that I prodded, "Don't you guys want to know why you woke up in mommy and daddy's room? Maybe you should go check to make sure your beds haven't been stolen!" This gave them pause, then both boys ran upstairs to discover the bunkbeds, complete with sheets for each boy in their current interest -- space for one and cowboys for the other.

I think the only gift that is better than their new sleeping spot, is knowing that they will indeed be sleeping in that sleeping spot. Phew.


Author's note: It is not my intention to cause ill feelings in those who do not have it so good as far as the sleep habits of children go...I mean only to share one joy that we do have as a family. Trust me, we have plenty of other issues to contend with.

No comments: