Monday, June 2, 2008

Full Circle

We haven't had good news for a long time, but today...an answer to prayer. (For another answer to prayer, see our other site)

You'll recall how we were told that my son would automatically be put into the full-day kindergarten program, due to his team's belief that it would be the most beneficial to him. When we went to kindergarten registration at his school, however, we were told that no, this could not be the case. Prepared for such an answer, I gave them the name of the Special Services gal who we were told had made the arrangements for us. That didn't go too well either.


Two days later, I got a call from the principal at the school who said he wanted to clear up some misinformation I'd been given. He informed me that my son would still have to be entered into the kindergarten lottery, but should his name not be drawn, they would figure out a way for him to have a customized full-day program (ie. half day kindergarten + half a day of resource room pull-out time).


Now, I do want to say here that it is an unusual feeling for me to want my son to bypass the "normal" means of getting into full-day kindergarten. I sort of feel guilty that he could be given this special privilege. But then I think, well, I would gladly give up the special privilege to have a "normal" child, doing things the "normal" way. Just as I assume many handicapped people would be willing to give up their designated parking spots for "normal" bodies. But they need those spots to function, just as my son needs a certain program to be successful. Guess its just one of those things to which I'm going to have to adjust. But I digress...


It was a couple weeks until the lottery was to take place, so in the meantime we just prayed for God's will to be done, knowing that with God orchestrating things our son would end up exactly where he needed to be.


To make a long story somewhat shorter, last Wednesday was the lottery drawing. We were unsure as to whether we were supposed to contact the school or wait on them to find out the results. After two days of no contact, I called them this morning to learn that he has indeed been drawn for the full-day program! (And we don't have to pay for it!)


So nice to start the week with good news!

No comments: