Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Belated Birthday Message

Yesterday was not a good day in our home. Ironically it also happened to be my wonderful husband's 30th birthday. He deserved so much better! All our money is going towards medical/therapy bills and the adoption these days, so there were no presents to be had. Even getting to watch the Mariners on TV was unpleasant, as they continue to lose and lose badly. And the boys were just plain naughty. Fortunately we had taken the opportunity to go out to eat the night before and had a remarkably peaceful meal.
In spite of it all, I want to say that I have a most terrific husband. He is a devoted father and a godly man. He's compassionate, but brave, hard-working, but loves to have fun with his boys. My opposite, my compliment, he's selfless when I'm selfish, engaging when I'm reserved, and logical when I'm an emotional wreck. I'm so very proud of all that he has been able to accomplish -- especially because it has been a long, hard road.
It seems that on every occasion in which I set out to buy him a card the card I choose always bears the same message: despite the craziness and challenges that we face, I'm glad we're doing it together, there is no one else I'd rather be with, etc. And that really is the truth of our relationship.
We've been through a lot in the 8 years we've been married and I really could not imagine anybody better suited to encourage me through it. Technology, specifically cell phones and instant messaging, have allowed me to bother him a million times a day when I feel that I can't go on, when I need to vent because someone is rude to me or the boys, or when I find a great deal at Target. He's always patient and always faithful to point me to the One Who really has all the answers. So, he's not only a great husband, he's my best friend.
This year, his birthday card said simply that my favorite thing in the world is spending time with him. And, in the end, that's how we spent his birthday. Together...watching the Mariners lose, but together none the less.

5 comments:

Maddy said...

Many happy [belated] returns of the day.
Best wishes

Ryan said...

Happy Birthday, Allan. Sorry the M's lost (at least they're being consistent), but I hope you had a good birthday being with those who love you.

God Made Playdough said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!! You young man! :) We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

We love him too, and are very proud of him!

Anonymous said...

yeah i know how it feels to celebrate a birthday without anything from a loved one. BDAY boy, happy birthday. Come by your house anytime for your present. LoL.