Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ugh

Dear friends, I ask for your prayers on our behalf once again.
It is becoming increasingly evident that we are needing to step up our search for more help with our son. This is such a frustrating process (especially as a believer) because it is so difficult to sift through all the people, the "experts" that are out there. Our OT (occupational therapist) is encouraging us to seek the help of a behavioral psychologist who specializes in ASD. This doesn't necessarily imply a BF Skinner behaviorism-type approach, for those of you who know what that means. It would ideally be someone who could help us decipher the dynamics of our son's particular behavior given his diagnosis. I don't want someone to throw some theory or approach at us. I just want someone who understands autism and is willing to sit down with us and help us discern our son's motivations and needs and then give us the tools to work with him to help us all be successful.
I am personally torn in regards to the field of psychology. Those of you who have known me for a considerable amount of time know that I hold an associate's degree in Human Services, with most of my training in the area of psychology. I was also just short of my bachelor's degree in psychology/criminal justice when life changed and I ceased attending college. Recent influences in my spiritual life have led to a sort of "reasonable doubt" in my conclusions regarding psychology as a whole, however. And now I'm left unsure of just what I believe -- and frustrated by the fact that I don't have the personal time and resources to figure it out. Yet, here I am trying to determine where to turn to help my son -- and my increasingly messed up family.
Please pray for wisdom for my husband and me as we tackle this issue. Pray that we would have the time to even talk about it together. Pray, too, that I will discipline myself to be more spiritually prepared to battle the cancerous despair that stalks me every day.
Thank you to all of you who serve as a constant source of encouragement to me, even in just reading what I share here. As always, I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. I will most definitely step up my prayers for your family. As far as some of the stuff you wrote about in here- I don't know how much I could help you, but I do have a BA in Psychology if you ever wanted to talk about that. Until then- know that you're in our prayers.

Rachel said...

I often read your blog, and though I don't know you, your family comes up often in my prayers. I used to go to Valley, but moved when I got married. I'm Dave Allen's sister. Perhaps it's odd to hear from someone you don't know, but I was moved to try and encourage you. There's a certain passage in Psalms that held me up many times and never ceases to amaze me. Psalms 56:8-13
"You have kept count of my tossings, put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? I must perform my vows to you, O God; I will render thank offering to you. For you have delivered my soul from death, yes, my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life."
I figure if David can say this during trouble, so can I. To know He knows every tear that I have is comforting. And I can KNOW that God is for me. And then at the end, even though things are hard, I Must perform my vows. It helps me to remember that hard times don't need to hinder my faith, but build it up. They don't have to change how my realtionship is with Jesus. I hope that this was somewhat helpful, but I will continue keeping your family in my prayers.

God bless, Rachel