Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy Little Workers

As we put the boys to bed tonight, their father and I sprawled on the floor beside their bed, I jokingly suggested that the boys go downstairs and do the dishes and cleaning and that we would go to bed. To my surprise, the youngest starts to head for the stairs. His older brother declares his willingness as well and follows him.
Out of curiosity, hubby and I decide to let them go and wait to see what will happen. After about seven minutes, this mother who knows nothing good can happen when the boys are left to themselves -- especially around breakables -- decides to sneak down and see what the little darlings are up to.
I found the youngest putting away toys in the living room, albeit in very strange locations, and the eldest happily pouring dish soap on every dish in sight. Both are singing. I kid you not.
I slip back upstairs to their father to share the details of my discovery. He is still sprawled on the floor. He is both unmoved by the news and unmoved in general. His advice is to let them continue. I wait it out a few minutes more and finally convince him to join me downstairs.

This is what we found:




Granted, despite the use of nearly an entire bottle of dish soap the dishes were nowhere near clean and we did suffer one casualty in the form of a drinking glass, but all parties were pleased none the less.

PS Our eldest tried to send us back to bed, saying, "You go back to bed. When we're done you can come out and watch your movie." Apparently he believes that because he has come out of his room on more than one occasion and found us to be watching a movie, that this must be the marvelous reward that awaits us every night after he has gone to bed.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That is such a cute story!! What good little helpers you have. I love the picture.