Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hey now, the Dream is Over

Okay, so its not that bad, but the honeymoon period has indeed ended. I knew as soon as I went to pick him up and realized that the resource room gal was waiting with him. I wouldn't say she was surprised, but she did seem a little resigned to admit that we his parents indeed knew what we were talking about. It would seem that, in her words, our son "doesn't do well with the word 'no' and doesn't seem to think that the rules that the other kids follow apply to him". Um, yeah. That's pretty much the definition of your typical child with Aspergers/High-Functioning Autism. No surprise there. Now as to what we're going to do about it, she says she has some ideas and would like to meet with us next week to set up his new IEP. Seeing as how my son himself already divulged that he has broken in the classroom discipline system -- not in those words -- this should prove to be an interesting week. (He said that he got a "yellow card," which is a warning, and didn't receive a reward like the other kids.) I think I've been holding my breath since the first day of school. The good news is that now I can exhale. The bad news is that things are going to get a lot more complicated. Time to revisit the Psalms!

1 comment:

Amanda Hug'n Kiss said...

A big hug to you today! I'm emailing you, because this would be a really long comment ;)