Thursday, November 13, 2008

Baker, Baker


I have a confession. I hate to cook. Always have. Yet, it is necessary for me to do so for my family's survival, so I have learned the basics and do the best I can. Baking, on the other hand, holds more interest to me. The problem with baking is that I simply don't have time to do it very often. Oh, I bake my boys' birthday cakes, cupcakes, and the usual potluck brownies, but I don't often get to do much more than that.
A short time ago -- 10 days to be exact -- I was given an Amish friendship bread starter from a Bible study friend. (If you're like me and have never heard of Amish friendship bread before, think of it like a chain letter in the form of bread dough. Someone gives you a starter mix in a Ziploc bag, you take it home and mush it around for a certain number of days, then add some ingredients to multiply it into four starters and batter. At this point, you'll have three starters to give away, one starter to keep for yourself, and batter to make into two loaves of bread.) Well, I faithfully mushed that little starter for the required number of days, then today the little guy and I got to turn it into its doughy destiny. As you can see by the photo, I am so pathetic in the cooking/baking world that I had to scrounge for pans to use! Hey, at least I had the ingredients on hand. Tonight we'll find out how successful we were....
So, Becky E, does this make me in the dough-know??

1 comment:

tscarter7 said...

That's awesome Sarah! I love that Amish bread....got any starter left?