Monday, December 15, 2008

All I Really Want for Christmas

Sunday night was the children's Christmas program at our church. The kids had been preparing for it for months. Our boys, well, not so much. The eldest felt strongly about being with the other kids when they rehearsed, but it was really up in the air whether or not he would actually participate. The wonderful gal coordinating the whole thing works very well with him, knows his quirks and moods, etc. She would mention to us on occasion that he was really singing out on the songs and knew the words. We were pleasantly surprised, but cautious in our expectations. When the final rehearsal came, he burst into tears and refused to join in, but I think this was mostly due to the schedule change -- it occurred during the usual Sunday School hour -- than anything else. The afternoon before the performance he wavered back and forth between vowing to do nothing but watch, and insisting that he wanted to be onstage with the other children. (He had been given the job as Row Leader, the one to lead his row on and off the stage, and thus felt a great amount of responsibility to be there.)

We had no idea what to expect, but I don't think we really expected what happened. I simply cannot put into words how amazing it was to see our child bellowing out the words to one of my very favorite songs. Hubby and I both cried. It was really the best Christmas present ever -- even better than hearing about our baby girl. I would gladly postpone our referral in exchange for that moment. I really would.

(Sorry the video isn't very good. You can actually barely see him -- just his head above the heads of the audience, with the little girl's red dress behind it. I don't think it helped that hubby and I were emotional wrecks. And we didn't have the best of seats. But if you listen closely, you can hear him above the other voices. If anyone out there has better footage, please let me know.)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

How exciting!! I can hear him! :) That must have been a wonderful moment for you.

God Made Playdough said...

He did so good! And he looked handsome! Orange is a good color on him.

Anonymous said...

I specifically watched Toby sing out and thought he did GREAT!!!!!
What a great gift from your son!
Merry Christmas...
Wendy E.

Anonymous said...

Toby surprised us all with his performance. It was so unexpected and so sweet it reduced me to tears.
I am so thankful for all those at Valley who have surrounded Toby with love and encouragement and helped him to feel comfortable and confident enough to be a part of this.

tscarter7 said...

Way to go Toby! Mrs. Carter loves you tons!
Sarah, talk to Craig Williams....I know he was videotaping it.